March Soul News and Facts

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Capitol recording artist, Lillo (Thomas) is back with a Paul Laurence/Timmy Allen-produced single “Sexy Girl” which is already making rapid strides Stateside and in the U.K. clubs on import. Flip is a version of the Otis Redding standard “I’ve Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now)”.

The remnants of the Timex Social Club, who enjoyed big sales on both sides of the Atlantic with “Rumors”, are currently enjoying a moderate hit Stateside with “Thinking About Ya” On the Fantasy-distributed Danya Records.

Breaking out on U.S. black and pop radio stations is Club Nouveau’s Go-Go influenced version of Bill Withers’ classic “Lean On Me”. The group has already shot a video for the song which if continuing the success already attained Stateside with “Jealous” and “Situation No. 9” could provide Club Nouveau with their first major album breakthrough of the year.

Actor-dancer Hinton Battle who cut an album for Qwest in 1986 is keeping his hand (or feet) in with his choreography having recently provided the necessary expertise for Starpoint’s “He Wants My Baby” video.

Former New Edition lead singer Bobby Brown is gearing up for solo performing chores in the U.S. and, reportedly the U.K. later this year.

Another King travelled to Jerusalem recently — the undisputed King of Funk, Mr. James Brown who was doing a little sightseeing in the city prior to performing two concerts in Tel Aviv.

And so the saga of vintage soul success continues. Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson ... and now Ben E. King and Percy Sledge are battling for top spot in UK's soul and pop charts with two further soul classics. There are, of course, any number of similar gems waiting to be rediscovered by the advertising industry and subsequently the great British public.

Atlantic eager to maintain their female artists profile are hoping for international success with Miki Howard. The singer’s "Come Share My Love” has already provided the label with an immediate return on their considerable investment. Atlantic also have a hand in the U.S. success of their distributed hit single “Serious” by Donna Allen on 21 Records.

Copyright © 2004 - 2024 SOULANDFUNKMUSIC.COM. All Rights Reserved.