Soul News For February

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

“Everything’s Coming Up Roses” is the new album release from The Rose Brothers on Muscle Shoals Sound via Malaco.

PolyGram maintain the black music profile to good effect in the opening months of ‘87 with albums from The BarKays and The Reddings plus a U.S. national tour by Kool and The Gang. The company has also signed Jackie Jackson as a solo artist.

EMI has released a new remixed version of Hot Chocolate’s “You Sexy Thing” which originally scored for the group in 1975. Top Dutch remix DJ Ben Liebrand — responsible for I986’s Tavares’ remix success “Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel” — has remixed the Hot Chocolate track which, according to EMI. has made strong inroads in the club dancefloors over the Christmas period. Another Hot
Chocolate hit “Every One’s A Winner” is on the B-side with an instrumental cut of the A-side included on the 12" version. The group are no longer together.

Jesse Johnson’s new A&M single Stateside is “She (I Can’t Resist)”.

Former Supreme Mary Wilson was in London recently to complete a publishing deal with Sidgewick & Jackson for the rights to her top selling U.S. book “Dreamgirl: My Life As A Supreme”. British publication is scheduled for May when Wells will return to Britain for promotional activities.

Former P-Funkster Bernie Worrell is presently engaged as keyboardist with Chrissie Hynde’s backing band The Pretenders. What, we ask, would George Clinton have to say to his ex-funkally?

Ex-Doobie Brother Michael McDonald is likely to team up again with “Sweet Freedom” producer Rod Temperton on his upcoming album project although Burt Bacharach and Carol Bayer Sager who were responsible for his duet smash “On My Own” with Patti Labelle are also in the running. A dual production is an additional possibility. A new recording deal is also being considered by the singer who is presently talking to a U.S. major. Meanwhile, she has begun preparatory work on the follow- up book to “My Life As A Supreme” which will deal with the entertainer’s activities during the 1970’s.

Nancy Wilson’s guest appearance on the Crusaders’ album “The Good And The Bad Times” is causing considerable comment Stateside. The singer’s performance on the track “The Way It Goes” is hoped to   
provide the late Nat King Cole’s talented off-spring a high profile start to the new year, as she prepares her debut album for Manhattan.

Morris Day’s new U.S. single is “Love Sign” and is taken from his “Color Of Success” album.

Bets are currently being placed Stateside on the winner of the forthcoming race to the top of the country’s album charts between Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston both of whom have their album’s released next month.

SERIOUS Records has now finalised the track listing of “Upfront 4“ which K just out. The ten track compilation features Loose Ends “Nights Of Pleasure”. Heavy D & The Boys “Mr Big Stuff”. Hindsight’s “Small Change". Projection's “Love Struck”. Ray. Goodman & Brown’s "Take It To The Limit". Vesta Williams' “Don’t Blow A Good Thing” and Darlene Davis’ “I Found Lose” which Serious are rush releasing as a single project. The new release is also the first such compilation album of the year.

Stevie Wonder’s first single shot of ‘87 is “Stranger On The Shore Of Love” — a track from his most recent album offering “In Square Circle”. The flip is “Did I Hear You Say You Love Me” which is taken from his 1980 album “Hotter Than July”.

Stevie has recently completed U.S. tour chores and is currently engaged on his new album “Character” which features several guest appearances including Run DMC. Following the album completion, U.K. fans are likely to see the Motown star in Britain.

Also just out on Motown is the new single from General Kane. Entitled “Hairdooz”, the new single is a comedy rap focussing on the different types of coiffure and aimed at the dance floors. The new release is the group’s second release for Motown following their no holds barred rap attack “Crack Killed Applejack” — a condemnation of the drug Crack which may be found on the B-side of the new-single.

General Kane are an eight piece Californian group fronted by Mitch McDowell. Prior to their deal with Motown they released two albums on Tabu Records.

This Soul News is from 1987.

Copyright © 2004 - 2024 SOULANDFUNKMUSIC.COM. All Rights Reserved.